Friday, June 24, 2011

Donkey Rock or BURST!

As summer is set upon us, I can't help but reminisce of lovely summer memories from years past.  For nearly two decades, Youth Camp was the highlight of my summer.  From an early age, it didn't matter where I was going or with whom, I always had a good time.  Youth Camp was the pinnacle of fun in my life at that time.  So many possibilities for adventure and memory-building.  I'm sheepish to admit that I had the presence of mind then to take extra care to savor the goodness.  I tried to memorize every rock on the path to the girls' bathroom.  I knew exactly where to stand in line for church so I could sit on a certain bench, in view of certain other campers.  ;)  I enjoyed a Kit Kat and suicide soda after every service, or sometimes a Mars bar, or a Rocky Road.  There was a giant bonfire most nights after we'd cried our last tear in the altar and many kids used it as an opportunity to practice dating.  Getting "taken to the bonfire" was a big deal.  I had beautiful friends of which had a different suitor every night.  I was usually the third wheel or hanging out with the other unlucky gals.  I'm pretty sure I was never asked to the bonfire by anyone, though I did have a stand-in "date" a couple of years by way of the current boyfriend.  So, that's not a big deal, just life! ha!  It didn't stop me from having fun, like, ever.  One year, there was a flash flood and my cabin was filled with mud to our knees.  We were nicknamed the Mud Hut that year.  We had our tent flaps up (bottom half was wood, top half army-like tent), and we were watching the hail and pouring rain.  Suddenly, what appeared to be mostly water began rushing toward our dwelling.  I jumped off the bunk where I was and my animal instinct kicked in!  I was grabbing belongings and throwing them up on the top bunks as quickly as possible, and my co-campers were doing the same.  It was awesome.  It was a mess, but it was awesome.  The list of memories such as this goes on and on and are funny, intriguing, and endearing.  One of my favorite parts of Youth Camp was waking up each morning.  Elder Morton would get on the PA and start singing in that lovely, funny voice of his.  A couple of my friends and I still sing each other those songs from time to time and you're not doing it right if you're not off-key!  I miss the days when all I had to worry about over the summer was what I was going to wear to Youth Camp and if I would be asked out to the bonfire.  Good times!  Summer time is here again and my spirit is up in that remote wooded area, high above the scorching heat of the valley.  Smelling the pine and the freshwater stream, feeling the occasional breeze drifting by, bringing with it the smell of tater tots and hot dogs.  I wish my son liked it as much as I did, because I would love to have an excuse just to drive up there again.  Great memories will never be forgotten!!!

1 comment:

  1. Off tune... What-a-you knooooow it's mornen alreadddddy! I agree. Great memories will never be forgotten!!! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete