Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Words Can't Describe How I Really Feel

I could not have, before this past Monday when I first read the reports, pointed out Myanmar on a map to you. I'm so grateful to live in this great nation where we take our peace, prosperity, safety, and seeming lack of hugely devastating natural disasters. To put things in a little perspective, take for instance Hurricane Katrina. Its devastation wrought on the humanity of those mostly located in a very poor area of New Orleans, yet the final death toll rests at 965. The San Francisco quake of 1989 death toll rests at 63. Even the truly devastating Frisco quake of 1906 killed 667. Yes, while every last one of these lives were extremely valuable and still a devastation to say the least, we are quite blessed. The projected death toll in Myanmar for the cyclone that hit over the weekend is at 10,000 people. That's a lot of zeros when you put a face, name, family, and tragedy with each one. My heart goes out to these people who live in nations less fortunate than ours and my prayers are with the nation of Myanmar. May they find peace that passes all understanding.




No comments:

Post a Comment