Saturday, March 12, 2011

Real Deal

Read an interesting post on a blog I frequent by a revered author recently, and it got me to thinking on the many forms of "sin".  The word "sinner" is what the crazies on The View would call a "Hot Topic".  Using that word and associating it with another person is akin to being judgmental, and when judgment is reserved for God alone, a fine line to walk.  As I have continued to read the heated debate on that particular post in regards to backsliders, modesty, sinning, etc., I have come to this conclusion - a reprobate mind needs some re-examination.  In Titus 1:16 it says, "They profess to know God; but in works they deny Him, being abominable, and disobedient and unto every good work reprobate."  (the entire passage is very interesting...)  The only definition I ever heard growing up in Pentecostal ranks of "reprobate" was basically that the person was cast out by God and given up on, perhaps even deluded in their beliefs.  That's not the complete definition.  Merriam-Webster says that "reprobate" is [a person] that is morally corrupt.  I realize not all Pentecostals fit into this category, but I'm ever surprised at the ignorance and sheer denial many are in.  First and foremost, you must be obedient to God and His Word.  Next, your pastor.  Problem is, much, much, MUCH focus is given to the physical presentation and pleasing the pastor and ministry, when hearts aren't right, yet God's people refuse to see it.  They're eager to tear down the unfortunate soul who happens to be found living in sin, yet they don't realize that every time they sit down at the table and overeat, they are sinning as well.  Living in a messy, filthy house is a sin.  Watching Hulu when the pastor preaches against TV is a sin.  Unfortunately, these things are trivialized, justified, and kept hidden from view so as to not ruin the perception of them via their outward holiness.  I'm actually the rare sinner that doesn't mind being called by that label, so long as the viewer sees clearly we all do sin and MOST on a regular basis.  Just because gluttony, laziness, and excessive debt aren't addressed on a regular basis from the pulpit doesn't mean God forgot that He abhors these things.  The surface stuff is easy, but God looks on the HEART.

3 comments:

  1. BTW - the picture I chose was to represent the double standard I was addressing in my post. I'm not a minister or even an upright person, just somebody with lots of observations and thoughts with an outlet via my blog. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what you've said. I understand how you feel to some extent, about how you are looked at by some Pentecostals and how it makes you feel really bad. I've been there and my family is there now. And I want to apologize to you if I've ever made you feel that. I just haven't talked to you much because we were never "friends," so to speak. =D I think highly of you and I'm so glad that our paths have crossed. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Larisa, for your kind words and I'm glad for sincere people such as yourself. Thanks for taking time out to make a comment!

    ReplyDelete