Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Quality or State of Being Friendly

Well, "friends", I've been thinking quite a lot on friends, friendship, and friendliness, and I've come to this conclusion: there are very few, if any, friends left to be had who have any kindly interest or goodwill on a consistent, faithful basis.  It's extremely saddening, to say the least.  Even I have not been a good friend, and perhaps am now reaping what I, myself, have sown.  I've heard it said many times and even have said it myself that, "With friends like these, who needs enemies?"  Some would take the passage of Proverbs 27:5-7 out of context to justify their actions.  Others offer no explanation for their injurious actions (or lack thereof), and wish to still "remain friends".  Honestly, I'd rather have no friends than not know if I can trust and rely on the ones I "have" to be friendly at all times.  Am I so "starved", as the 7th verse states, that I'll take on any "bitter", self-serving, mean-spirited person as a friend?  I've allowed myself to be "guilted" into being nice and come out of those situations feeling empty and unfulfilled.  I often take comfort in the song "No One Ever Cared for Me Like Jesus", as I try my darnedest to not pity my woeful state of being.  Merriam-Webster defines a friend as "one that is not hostile", and hostile is defined as "of or relating to the opposing party".  Aristotle said, "A friend to all is a friend to none."  So, you may have to make a choice.  I have made a choice.  I will still do my very best to be nice to all, even downright accommodating to others, but I fully trust very few.  (The actual number would be shocking to my "friends".)  It's a lonely place to be, having removed the rose-colored glasses and now viewing the entirety of the human race through jaded eyes.  I miss my innocence and abhor those I allowed to rip it from me, piece by piece.  Friendship isn't always convenient and being friendly or amicable toward one seemingly undeserving of such can be downright trying, but I don't think it's too much to ask or expect in return.  Unfortunately, life forces friendships in or out and if you are one who tries to maintain a hold on all friends, tenuous though the grasp may be, you will be exhausted from the effort.  The world of social networking has given many, including myself, a false sense of security, thinking all 290-odd "friends" actually like us.  (Or whatever your number may be...)  I am aware the vast majority on my list don't define friend, but some are outright enemies.  It's time to weed out the ones who hurt me the most, I reckon.  Will they retaliate with reckless gossip and malevolent behavior?  Most likely.  Oh, well, like the rest of the human race, I now will look out for me.  Nobody else is going to do it.  (I'll have my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek for my next post, and I apologize for the ugliness spewed herein, but venting is good for me.)

5 comments:

  1. I too have been shunned in church. People I've seen grow up from childhood AND family members who I've sat and dined with on various occasions totally ignore me as if Im not right in front of them.It took me a while to see how narrow minded these people are. Always trying to impress the elite crowd & since Im just a church person Iam no one in their eyes. I've never been one to impress anybody,you either like me for who Iam or not. I speak to all, smile at all & shun no one because I know what it feels like. I held a grudge in my younger years but finally I was enlightened to the fact that I am not in church to become poplar or to be in the in crowd. I am there because Iam one of God's elite & he wants to talk to me thru his message. If, no one speaks to me I'll still pray for them. I'll let God handle your imperfection and your self righteousness. I have joy and peace in my heart and I am happy with who I am. Let go and let God.......... understand that these peoplehe same table and dined with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Unless you have walked a mile in these shoes..." Life truly is about Moving On.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Needed to fix this... I was not sure how to post my name the first time. If you know me you understand! my post was 3/27/11.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling it was you, my friend, but now I know! Thanks for revealing your identity! Love you so much and am still glowing from our talk last week. Shall we do it again? This time, a little earlier in the evening so as to not interfere with the other stuff? hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pleasure was truly mine... I've been singing a song since. It's kind of fitting but I only know the Christmas Version. LOL I'll post it. I Love you Chris!

    ReplyDelete