Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Reflections and Goal-setting

Well, the response on my previous post was very good and I appreciate every one's words of encouragement and love! Speaking of "elders", one of the great men in my life, and the single most influential man in my life would have turned 58 today. My Dad was such an awesome man. From the time I was two, (which would be all I remember of my life...), he was a wonderful father to me. I knelt beside his deathbed, just seconds before his passing, and prayed. It was like no prayer I had ever prayed before, nor any I wish to pray again. In the seconds, minutes, hours, and days after he passed from this life, I felt a deeper calling than I ever have before. I still feel that I am not yet doing what God has called me to do, and in due time I will be able to "fill the gap" in a manner of speaking left by my father. He was a soul winner with a heart for shepherding God's people to the very end. I miss him so very much and wish everyone could have known him and remember what a great man he was. It is now my responsibility to remember and remind you all to appreciate your folks while you have them. As a good friend told me many years back now, "Life is too short for enemies." Focus on the good in people. Slow to anger, quick to forgive. These are things that my Dad exemplified and I hope to do as well, to the very best of my ability. When I grow up, I want to be just like my Dad.

3 comments:

  1. What you are saying in the description of the person you wish to be, is that you want to be a Christian. Your dad certainly was that.
    I don't know that I'll ever attain, but that's certainly the goal I desire as well.
    Let's journey on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I never "arrive", because that'll mean I'm dead! I'm striving...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have known this special person in your life! I'm glad you remember him so fondly and are striving for being like your dad who strived to be just like his DAD, our heavenly Father, Jesus Christ!!! Keep striving, I know you will make a difference. You already are!!!

    ReplyDelete